Thursday, December 5, 2013

Netflix's streaming trend with anime!

If you are a subscriber to Netflix’s streaming service, you may or may not know that Netflix has a selection of instant anime titles subbed and dubbed. You may have also noticed that some titles disappear, and new ones come in. Well, I have noticed this, and I have seen a pattern. Here is what I have found out:

1) New titles (almost) every Monday!
That’s right, as of a few months ago, (around July of this year) almost every Monday, there is 1 or 2 new titles up for streaming. However, this means that some titles may be taken off. I have noticed over the past year, the selection is very different, with only the “best” staying there.

2) If one title suddenly disappears, and it had no sub option, Netflix will (most likely) put it back up in a few days with the option, and even English closed captioning.

3) Funimation titles only.
I know, other licensing companies have their stuff for streaming. But I’d say the vast majority of the instant titles are licensed by Funimation. There used to be stuff from other companies, but those have all been taken down. So if you’re hoping for an anime to reach streaming and it’s licensed by a different company, chances are, it’s not coming to streaming anytime soon,

That’s about it for now. I’ll update this list if I notice anything new. Just keep your eyes open for any title says, “Available until…” That means it will be taken off instant.
I do not have the DVD service, so I think I’ll check that out later.

Cheers,
~Selena
UPDATE 20 FEB 2014: This trend has stopped for now, sorry. 

Last Updated: 20 February 2014
Originally Published: 29 November 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment