Friday, May 16, 2014

Squeaky Clean Anime Taste Test: Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple Episodes1&2



I was recommended this by a friend, and I agreed to watch this if he watched FMA (Or was it Death Note?) So, here I am. Let's get started!

Story:
So, we've got a zero-to-hero shonen story on our hands. Kenichi Shirahama is a wimpy guy who just wants to join the school's karate club to learn. When he gets rejected, then challenged to a fight, he walks home only to see Miu Furinji, a classmate of his take down a group of thugs all by herself. Kenichi then finds out her grandfather runs a special dojo, and Kenichi decides to learn martial arts and become stronger.
The interesting thing about this anime is that it's a shonen without any supernatural elements (YET). This offers a sense of realism and genuine, realistic, down-to-earth struggle. And I suppose it's this that brings the allure of other sports anime. It's fun to watch, but isn't terribly original.

Characters:
So far, all the character's I've seen are likeable and relatable, even the bully who challenged Kenichi to a fight. I also see some HUGE potential in character development and relationship development in this anime. But I seriously hope they don't take the "oblivious love" route that some anime (*cough* Ouran) are guilty of doing.

Art: 
The art is nothing to scoff at, really. But, I thought the art was a bit...artificial for a shonen. I mean, this art could almost as easily be applied to a late 2000's slice-of-life. Well, this anime could be considered a slice-of-life...
But it's mostly this that didn't sit well with me:
Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple vol01.jpg

Ugggggghhhhhh.... more bouncy fanservice...     My reaction:     


Animation:
Now, the animation during the action scenes is good. Yes, there are your standard manga style lines across an action scene taken from the manga, but really, you shouldn't be complaining about that when EVERY shonen anime does that. It's fluid enough, isn't cut-up to the point of it being distracting, and doesn't appear to be lazy. But, I am still skeptical about if this will stay consistent.

Voice:
Again, this is another SFF dub with Josh Grelle, Carrie Savage, and R. Bruce Elliot as the main characters. Of course, I usually don't have a big problem with SFF dubs. I stand my my belief that shonen anime should (almost) always be enjoyed dubbed. It's too much for me to read subtitles and watch action scenes at the same time (like my experience with Attack on Titan). The dub is not distracting, and the script is what you'd expect from Funimation or a martial arts shonen anime.

Music:
The opening is great for this anime. It's an energetic, fast, fun, J-Rock opening that really doesn't take itself too seriously (that means some fanservice too) *sigh*. The opening reminded me of opening animations to Fairy Tail, somehow. Now that I think about it, a lot of anime do that with the opening animation...
Again, I didn't pay too much attention to the OST again (Grrrr...Why do I always do that?!?) but I will when I actually watch this anime.

My Enjoyment:
I enjoyed this anime is a completely different way than I do most supernatural shonen series. Overall, this anime doesn't take itself too seriously and instead focus on the journey Kenichi is undertaking and seeing bonds grow between characters. It's probably best to "turn off your brain" while watching this to have maximum enjoyment.

Approval Rating:
Yes, I will be watching this anime. But I'm not in a big hurry to do so (because I've got a LOT of other stuff to finish watching and review). However, if you're looking for a down-to-earth, more-shonen-than-sports anime, look no further, as this anime will do the job perfectly. I'd say check this anime out if you liked Hajime no Ippo.

Cheers,
~Selena

Last Updated: 31 May 2014
Originally Published: 16 May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment