Friday, April 18, 2014

Squeaky Clean Anime Taste Test: Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist) Episodes 1&2



From now on, I plan on regularly posting. I haven't quite figured out the schedule, but I'm pretty sure I'll post a review or something like this on a Friday or Saturday.

Okay, this is how my taste tests (first thoughts) will work (For now):
-They will not be longer than 3 episodes.
-I won't say a whole lot, unless it's about an ongoing seasonal anime.
-I won't do one for a lot of the seasonal stuff. Only what I feel I need to blog about.
Got that? Good.

Funny story about how I started watching this. No, I did not watch this when it came on Toonami. Instead of studying for a quiz (at least I spent part of my lunch studying), I decided to use a Chromebook I checked out from the school library and pulled up justdubs.tv (It's a good site, it's free, and it wasn't blocked.) I meant to click on Black Lagoon (I'm on episode 5) but accidentally clicked Blue Exorcist. So, I thought, "Why not?" And so I did. There was a substitute in my biology class, so she let us "study". So. Much. Win.

Okay, enough of that, let me talk about my first impression of this anime!
First off, the story. (Let me try to keep this short) Rin Okumura and his fraternal twin brother Yukio lived in a monestary with a priest/exorcist as a (foster) father. But when demons from the "other world" invade, Rin learns that the king of all demons, Satan himself, created Rin as a body for him to use when he invaded the human world. Then he is given a sword named Kurikara that sealed away his powers to keep with him at all times. So, Rin decides to enroll in an exorcist academy in order to defeat his father.

Not many characters are introduces in the first 2 episodes, but it's enough to get you attached to them quickly. I don't think there's a character I particularly hate so far, except maybe the punks who pick on Rin. Rin seems to follow the typical "I must get stronger!" troupe that pretty much every shonen anime protagonist falls into. But I also liked Yukio, partly because of his dub VA. So far, I don't think any one character is spectacular, but I'm only 2 episodes in.

The art is fine, I didn't have any problems with it. The animation, however is really good. I've only seen some action in the first 2 episodes, but I noticed it's not "cut-up" like a lot of other shonen anime do. I just hope that won't change as the show progresses. Ehhh...it probably will.

I didn't pay much attention to the OST that much, but both the opening and ending themes are great. I liked them. Hopefully, when I continue with this anime, I'll pay more attention to the OST.

The dub is actually pretty good for a shonen anime. You've got Bryce Papenbrook and Johnny Yong Bosch as the main characters, and they're easily recognizable. There is some cheesy dialogue, but when the show needs to, it doesn't sound like the actors are just reading off a script. So, I recommend the dub over the sub. (But IMO, you should always watch a shonen anime dubbed unless there is no dub.)

Blue Exorcist is another shonen anime and doesn't really do anything to set it apart from the others. It serves its purpose very well, though, and doesn't deny what it's trying to do.

Yes, I did enjoy these first 2 episodes. A LOT, actually. To be honest, this was a lot more fun to watch than the first episode of D. Gray-man, another shonen anime about exorcists. The first episode is great, but after seeing the second episode, it feels like the events of a first episode were stretched into 2. I found myself getting attatched to this anime, even going as far as considering buying a Blue Exorcist messenger bag off Craigslist for $15, despite having only seen the first two episodes. So, this should go without saying, but I am very excited to continue with this anime.

And now for the interesting part! I actually noticed that Blue Exorcist is a cross between two other shonen anime, Bleach and Naruto. Why?

Similarities to Bleach:
-Main character has an "evil" self inside them
-Uses a sword to fight evil beings
-Likes to pick fights.

Similarities to Naruto:
-Hated as a child because they're demonic
-Main character is a bit of a knucklehead
-(Probably) Blamed for their father's death
-THIS MOMENT:
Honestly, the first thing I thought when seeing this was "Fire Style! Fireball Jutsu!"

So, how did you guys like my first thoughts on Blue Exorcist? Should I do first thoughts more often? And if you're going to comment, please no spoilers for the anime or the manga.

My Earl and The Fairy review will come out NEXT WEEK FRIDAY. It's almost done.

Cheers,
~Selena

Last Updated: 18 April 2014
Originally Published: 18 April 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment